Cheyenne Fire Rescue is reminding residents of the city's open burn law after improperly discarded yard waste started a fire.

Spokesman Scott Smith says firefighters were called to a home in the 3100 block of Hanson Street late Sunday night after a trash can fire spread to an attached garage.

Thanks to bystanders with a garden hose, the fire was contained when firefighters arrived on scene and they were able to quickly put it out.

"The cause of the fire is the result of burned yard waste that was not properly extinguished and then placed in a trash can," said Smith.

"Please remember that yard waste needs to be properly disposed of and that open burning of yard waste is not allowed in the City of Cheyenne," he added.

Smith says damage to the exterior of the garage was estimated at less than $5,000 and no one was injured in the fire.


More From KGAB