Cheyenne BOPU Issues Cold Weather Pipe Reminder
With temperatures in the area tonight forecast to possibly reach the single digits, the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities [BOPU] is reminding people to make sure their water pipes are ready for old man winter.
The BOPU is recommending these steps:
• Know the location of your water shut-off valve and test it regularly.
• Insulate pipe. Any pipes that are vulnerable to the cold or caused problems before are the ones to insulate.
• Disconnect, drain and store all garden hoses. This will allow water to drain from the pipe; otherwise a single hard, overnight freeze can burst either the outdoor spigot and/or the pipe it’s connected to.
• Dewater your sprinkler system to avoid cracks and leaks. Turn off the water to your sprinkler system, drain valves and use compressed air to blow out the remaining water in your sprinkler system.
• Drain outdoor faucets and exposed pipes.
If you need assistance locating the main water valve or shutting off water to a building, please call the Water Department at 307-637-6471. Water connects us all. Keep warm and prepare your home for cold weather.