UPDATE (4 p.m.):

A Casper man is accused of attempted murder in the Monday morning shooting that sent one man to the hospital, and charging documents include witness accounts of what led to the shooting.

Travis Hall, 25, is charged with attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault and use of a deadly weapon. He could face at least 20 years, or up to life in prison if convicted on all counts.

The victim, 27-year-old Cody Lawson, continues to recover at Wyoming Medical Center.

Casper police officers went to the 1700 block of South Washington at about 1:45 a.m. Monday after the victim's roommate called to report the shooting. 

According to court documents, the roommate said "Travis" was the shooter but had taken off and the roommate said he didn't know where he went. The roommate reportedly told dispatch that he heard another gunshot after Hall left. 

Officers arrived and provided first-aid to Lawson. He was immediately taken to Wyoming Medical Center.

Lawson didn't know Hall, who was an old friend of his roommate. 

While at Wyoming Medical Center, Lawson reportedly told officers that he had been at his house all night drinking with a fourth man, but had gone to sleep early on the couch because he had to work early Monday. 

Lawson said he was sleeping when his roommate and Hall showed up at the house. Hall reportedly turned the music up loudly and was playing beer pong with Lawson's roommate. 

Hall continued to be loud and disrespectful, the victim told police, and he and Lawson began arguing. 

Lawson shoved Hall out the front door and locked it behind him. He then went back to sleep.

He was lying on the couch when he heard a loud crash that sounded like glass breaking, according to the affidavit. 

Lawson reportedly opened the front door and was shot while standing in the doorway. He went back inside, shut the door and told his friend he had been shot. 

The bullet went through Lawson's left arm and into his chest. Fortunately, it missed the chest cavity as well as bone and major blood vessels. 

Back at the scene of the shooting, officers searched for Hall. They found him walking in the area of South Glendale Avenue and 21st Street. 

Officers pointed their guns at hall and ordered him to show his hands. Hall paused for a moment before allegedly putting a revolver on the ground. 

Court documents say officers searched Hall and found four spent shell casings and four live rounds. Hall told police he had a gun as well as .45-caliber and pepper-shot rounds on him. 

Hall reportedly told police he was at the house when his friend's friend -- Lawson -- told him he wanted to fight and to kill Hall, so Hall guessed he was going to shoot him. 

Hall said it seemed fair to him, according to the affidavit. 

Court documents say Hall said someone at the house tried to make him put the gun to his head, trying to "make him shoot his own face off."

Hall gave a breath sample at the police station, showing his blood-alcohol concentration was .20 at the time. 

According to court documents, Hall later told detectives that he showed his gun to his friend -- Lawson's roommate -- while at Lawson's house, after the two started talking about guns. He described it as a Taurus "judge" .45-caliber revolver which he loaded with four "fatboy long rifle" .45 rounds and a .410 pheasant round, with the pheasant round loaded to be the last round fired.

The way Hall told it, according to the affidavit, he and an hispanic man -- evidently, the friend that Lawson had over -- got into an argument over the gun. Hall reportedly said the hispanic man wanted to play Russian roulette.

Hall said he tried to take the gun back from the man, and they ended up fighting over it. Hall said he thought the other man had a weapon, because he wouldn't fire a shot all "willy-nilly." 

Hall said Lawson's roommate was in the kitchen with his hands up, saying "please don't do this," according to the affidavit.

Hall said he fired at the man's leg, but missed and sent a round into the floor. He allegedly said he aimed for the leg because the man must have had a gun. 

According to court documents, Hall said Lawson's roommate was trying to console Lawson, because "he hoped nobody got hurt because I was stupid."

"This was dumb all the way around. I am so disappointed in myself," Hall reportedly told detectives.

Hall allegedly said he broke out a window after the shooting. 

Hall said, according to the affidavit, that as he was leaving the house, Lawson's friend must have had a gun or said something threatening, so Hall fired multiple shots at him. When asked, Hall reportedly could not recall whether the man had any object in his hands. 

Court documents say Hall told police that he shot all five rounds in his revolver and that he didn't remember picking up any spent casings. 

When police interviewed Hall a second time, he reportedly did not repeat any of those details and said no altercation took place inside the house. 

Hall allegedly said he felt threatened by Lawson after Lawson asked him to leave, adding that he shot at Lawson as he stood in the doorway. 

Court documents say police found no bullet holes or signs of an altercation inside the house, only shattered glass from the window and blood on the floor where Lawson was found by first responders.

Lawson's roommate and Lawson's friend gave accounts of that night which are largely similar to Lawson's version of events.

Hall's bond was set at $250,000 cash or surety during his initial appearance Tuesday afternoon in Natrona County Circuit Court.



The suspect in the Monday morning shooting on South Washington Street has been identified.

Travis Hall, 25, is charged with attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault and use of a deadly weapon.

He could face up to life in prison plus 15 years if convicted on all counts.

Hall's bond was set at $250,000 cash or surety during his initial appearance Tuesday afternoon in Natrona County Circuit Court.

The victim, whose name has not been released, is a 27-year-old white male who lives in the 1700 block of S. Washington, where the shooting occurred.

He is expected to make a full recovery, police say.

More information on the shooting itself should be available shortly.

Someone called police to report the shooting at about 1:40 a.m. Monday.

Hall was taken into custody shortly after officers arrived at the scene. He was not at the house when officers found him, but was nearby.

Police confirmed Monday morning that the victim was shot with a handgun and the shooting occurred inside the home.

No details on whether the two men knew each other or what may have precipitated the shooting have been released.

More From KGAB