Carbon Monoxide Warning Issued
The Wyoming Poison Control Center is reminding people that the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty heating systems is much greater during cold weather.
Spokeswoman Joan Mcvoy says one problem with carbon monoxide poisoning is that it's symptoms tend to mimic the flu, including nausea, vomiting and dizziness. But she says carbon monoxide also causes severe headaches. She also says the gas can be fatal, often killing people in their sleep.
Mcvoy says because carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless, it's important to have working carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and to make sure they are in working order. Beside malfunctioning furnaces, other sources of carbon monoxide poisoning include car exhaust, especially in garage areas, charcoal grills used indoors and unvented space heaters.
Mcvoy says the Wyoming Poison Control Center is available to answer questions about carbon monoxide poisoning and other health issues 24/7 at 1-800-222-1222.