Fireworks Hazard Warning Issued
The Wyoming Poison Control Center is warning people about the hazards of fireworks, especially glow sticks and sparklers.
Spokeswoman Joan McVoy says poison centers across the country received over 23,000 calls about exposure to glow sticks and similar products in 2012. She says most of the calls involve children ingesting the chemical that makes the sticks glow, dibutyl phthalate. Although contact or ingestion of the chemical is not fatal, in can be a severe irritant ( especially to the eyes) and cause children's mouths to glow.
McVoy says the situation is not life threatening and advises parents to call the center at 1-800-222-1222 if their kids come into contact with the chemical. McVoy says sparklers, while often thought of as "harmless", cause more injuries than any other fireworks and should only be used with adult supervision.
Finally McVoy says many kinds of fireworks contain a variety of hazardous chemicals and should be kept out of reach of small children and pets.
Fireworks are illegal within the city limits of Cheyenne. Police spokesman Dan Long says violators of the ordinance face a $200 fine, and warns police will be actively looking for people using fireworks within the city limits through July 4th.