Quick hits from camp: Freshman WR starting to emerge
LARAMIE -- The Wyoming football team wrapped up its fourth practice of fall camp Tuesday afternoon in Laramie.
Here's what head coach Craig Bohl had to say in a 1:51 interview with the press today:
* Jaylen Sargent, a true freshman wide receiver from Logan, Utah, had a nice day for the Cowboys Tuesday. He caught the eye of his head coach with Isaiah Neyor and Alex Brown still limited with ankle injuries. "He's shown some signs," Bohl said. "We have him working with the second group right now but he's doing enough that we may move him up." Sargent is listed at 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds. He was also recruited by Air Force, Dartmouth and Utah State, among others.
* Xazavian Valladay and Trey Smith are in line to be the feature runners out of the Pokes' backfield this fall. Has a third running back stepped up in camp yet? "Those two guys are solid players," he said of Valladay and Smith. "I think Titus Swen has done some good things and is becoming more of a polished back."
MORE UW FOOTBALL NEWS:
* Wyoming's Levi Williams: 'I feel like I owe this team more'
* UW's Top 50 football players: No. 4
* Cornerback depth Bohl's top concern this fall
* Don't mistake Azizi Hearn's playfulness for weakness
* No surprise here: Bohl likes his linebackers. Led by Chad Muma in the middle and Charles Hicks and Easton Gibbs on the outside, Bohl said an extra year under their belts has only added to their football IQ. "Their knowledge is really important," he said. "I think they've got the ability to diagnose and see things, and then be able to drop into coverage but then also be good blitzers."
* Aside from Treyton Welch and Parker Christensen, Bohl said he hasn't discovered who else will be a factor this fall at the tight end position. He did reiterate that those guys should be busy in 2021. "Not quite yet, but we've got quite a bit of depth there," he said. "Maybe after another week or so I can let you know who would be the third and fourth, but we do have more tight ends. You know, I think we're pretty well fortified (at that position). This our eighth year, and it's taken us a while, but tight ends are important in our offense and those those guys certainly I think are good players." The other tight ends on the roster are: John Michael Gyllenborg (Fr.), Jackson Marcotte (Soph.) and Colin O'Brien (Soph.).