A kitchen fire Sunday afternoon at the Mountain Elk Ridge Apartments in Cheyenne caused roughly $30,000 in damage.

Cheyenne Fire and Rescue Prevention Division Lieutenant Steve Zimmerman says firefighters were called to the 4700 block of Mountain Road around 12:45 p.m. and had the fire under control in about five minutes.

Zimmerman says the fire, which was accidental, was contained to the kitchen area.

"We want to remind everyone to pay close attention when cooking and never leave the kitchen unattended," said Zimmerman.

Zimmerman says luckily, the apartment unit had working smoke alarms and everyone was able to get out safely.

More From KGAB