An 18-year-old Hillsdale man was arrested Sunday evening after leading a deputy on a high-speed pursuit.

The Laramie County Sheriff's Department was called to Hillsdale shortly after 6:00 p.m. on a report of a red, Dodge Durango sitting on the railroad tracks.

"We sent a deputy out there," said Captain Linda Gesell. "The deputy was unable to locate the vehicle on the railroad tracks, but did notice a vehicle fitting that description speeding through the downtown area of Hillsdale.  He estimated him going between 60 and 65 in a 25 mile an hour zone."

Gesell says the deputy tried to pull the Durango over, but the driver failed to stop and headed south out of town on County Road 142.

Approximately 200 yards south of Hillsdale, the driver intentionally sideswiped a Ford Expedition that had pulled over. The driver of the Expedition was uninjured, but her driver's side rear quarter panel was damaged.

At the same time, a good Samaritan witnessed what was happening and, seeing that the deputy was all alone, began to follow him in his dully truck as back-up.

After a 3 mile pursuit that reached speeds of 75 m.p.h., the driver lost control of his Durango and slid off the road. He then got out of his vehicle and started running at the deputy yelling, "Shoot me. Shoot me."

The deputy, not knowing if the man was armed, stopped his patrol car 150 yards away from the Durango and when he opened his driver's door the good Samaritan following him hit his door, bending it towards the front of the car.

"It was close," said Gesell.  "It shook the deputy up a little bit, but he was able to keep his wits and then confront the person running at him from the Durango.  The deputy could see that the suspect didn't have anything in his hand, so at that time he decided to deploy his taser and the driver was then placed in custody."

Gesell says the man had a valid driver's license, no drugs were found in his Durango and there were no pending charges against him.

"For whatever reason, this 18-year-old just decided not to stop for the deputy," said Gesell.

The man, who has not been identified, has not been formally charged yet.  He is currently undergoing a mental evaluation at Cheyenne Regional Medical Center.

"This good Samaritan will likely not be charged," said Gesell.  "He was only trying to do good, he didn't intentionally try to hit the deputy's door, it just happened that his truck didn't slow down as quickly as he thought it would."

More From KGAB