Med. Bow Forest Road Closures Announced
Multiple territory roads in the Medicine Bow National Forest are undergoing temporary road closures for regular maintenance. Officials with the Medicine Bow National Forest Laramie Ranger District say that in addition to these road closures, travelers and recreationists in the area can expect to encounter trucks exiting and entering nearby roads and highways.
Officials are asking people in these areas to be aware and avoid heavy equipment, and not to enter areas that are posted as “closed.” Laramie Ranger District visitors are encouraged to check the latest status of roads and recreation sites by calling 307-745-2300 or by visiting the District Office at 2468 Jackson Street in Laramie. District Office summer hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Currently, Forest Road 543 on the Laramie Ranger District will be closed weekdays through Dec. 1 for roadside hazard tree removal. This is the section of the Douglas Creek Road to the west of Rob Roy Reservoir, from Keystone north to the 500 Road. No operations will occur on weekends or on special holidays. Alternate routes during the weekly closures include the 511, 500, 542 or 512 roads.
- The Jack Creek Road, or Forest Road 452, is also currently closed through August 9 so that crews can replace an existing culvert with a bottomless arch. The 452 road, on the Brush Creek/Hayden Ranger District will not be passable at the Nugget Creek crossing during this time period. The road will be closed from the 443 Road junction to the 457 Road junction for the duration of the project.
- Once the Nugget Creek project is completed, Forest Service crews will mobilize to complete the Pelton Creek (898 Road) project on the LRD. This road will be closed from August 12-24. The project will require the stretch from Forest Road 530, the Spruce Gulch Road, to the Pelton Creek Campground to be closed to vehicles. This is also a culvert replacement project.
- Work to clear hazard trees from the roadside leading into Rob Roy Campground on the LRD could close the campground for multiple days at some point in early August. Please check with the District office for details, as the exact closure dates will depend on contractor availability.
- Sand Lake Road (Forest Road 101), on the LRD, which has been intermittently closed for the last month due to hazard tree removal, is anticipated to open within the next week or two. North Fork Campground will also open at the same time.