An Oregon man with a history of criminal behavior pleaded not guilty in federal court Wednesday to a misdemeanor count of disturbing wildlife when he allegedly harassed a bison in Yellowstone National Park two weeks ago -- shown in a video gone viral.

Raymond Reinke, 55, of Pendleton, Ore., entered the plea during his arraignment in federal court before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Carman in Mammoth Hot Springs.

Reinke also pleaded not guilty other misdemeanors: being under the influence of alcohol to the point that he was a danger to himself or others; interference or resisting a ranger, making unreasonable noise; and having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle.

He heard the charges against him during his initial appearance on Friday.

Carman scheduled him to appear for a bench trial at 9 a.m. Aug. 23.

Reinke isn't going anywhere.

Teton County Sheriff's Office
Teton County Sheriff's Office

He has been held in custody since his arrest in Glacier National Park in Montana on Thursday.

Carman granted the Wyoming U.S. Attorney's request to revoke his probation for the drunk and disorderly conduct charge on July 28, and to detain him until the bench trial.

The minutes of the detention hearing, conducted along with the arraignment, outline the federal prosecutor's reasons for keeping Reinke in custody:

  • There were no conditions that would assure the public's safety or that he would show up for court appearances.
  • The weight of the evidence is strong.
  • He's subject to a lengthy prison sentence if convicted.
  • Prior criminal history.
  • Committing a crime while on probation, parole or supervision.
  • History of alcohol or substance abuse.
  • Lack of stable employment and a stable residence.
  • Lack of significant ties to Wyoming.
  • Prior failures to appear in court as required.
  • Prior attempt(s) to evade law enforcement.
  • Prior violations of probation, parole or supervised release.

The case began July 28 when he was arrested by rangers in Grand Teton National Park on a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. He spent the night in the Teton County Jail, and was then released on bond.

Reinke then traveled to Yellowstone National Park where rangers stopped his vehicle for a traffic violation on July 31. He was a passenger, appeared intoxicated and argumentative, and was cited for failure to wear belt.

Soon after that, Yellowstone rangers received several wildlife harassment reports from concerned visitors. They found Reinke later that evening and issued a citation requiring a court appearance. However, at that time they were not aware of the previous citations.

The video of the event surfaced after that citation had been issued. Thursday, and rangers connected Reinke’s extensive history.

Klaassen requested Reinke's bond be revoked, the court granted the request and issued the arrest warrant.

Reinke earlier had told rangers that his plans were to travel to Glacier National Park.

Thursday night, Glacier National Park rangers began looking for his vehicle.

Meanwhile, rangers responded to the Many Glacier Hotel because two guests were arguing and creating a disturbance in the hotel dining room. Rangers identified one of the individuals involved as Reinke.

Glacier rangers took Reinke to Helena where they met Yellowstone rangers,, who took him to Mammoth Hot Springs and booked him into the Yellowstone Jail.

More From KGAB