Denver Broncos Named ESPN Sports Humanitarian Team Of The Year Finalist
For the third year in a row, the Denver Broncos have been named a finalist for ESPN's 2022 Sports Humanitarian of the Year award.
On Tuesday (June 28), the Broncos were selected as a finalist for ESPN's Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year through a comprehensive review process that evaluated their community teamwork, strategy, and data-driven outcomes of their philanthropic work and player initiatives.
Based on the team's impressively heartwarming track record, it's easy to see why the Denver Broncos were named a finalist for this highly-regarded award.
As per a press release from the football club, Denver Broncos players and staff have supported their community throughout 2022 through the following initiatives:
- Players volunteering more than 900 hours through 745 different engagements
- Launching a gun buyback program in partnership with Denver & Aurora councilmembers and Colorado-based nonprofit RAWTools
- Contributing over $275,000 for Inspire Change programs and initiatives
- Being the only professional sports team to fully fund its own branch of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, giving 14,500+ under-resourced youth a home away from home since 2003
- Supporting 30 local nonprofits via the club's annual Community Grant Program
- Investing in the equity of female youth sports in the Metro Denver area, with an emphasis on launching a high school flag football pilot program for girls
- Conducting the Staff Community Service Series, featuring in-person and remote monthly volunteer opportunities for Broncos staff and families
... and the year isn't even over yet.
About ESPN's Sports Humanitarian Awards
The 8th annual Sports Humanitarian Awards is a celebration of the impact made by athletes, teams and sports industry professionals who are using sports to make a difference in their communities and throughout the world.
The Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year award is given to a sports franchise that demonstrates how teamwork can create a measurable impact on a community or cause.
A finalist for the third consecutive year, the Denver Broncos join the Miami HEAT (NBA), Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL), and Seattle Storm (WNBA) as nominees for this year's award.
The 2022 ESPN Sports Humanitarian Awards will combine with the 2022 ESPYS for a week of inspirational programming that showcases service, character, and achievement in sports, the football club said in a press release on Tuesday (June 28).; as a finalist, Denver Broncos Charities will be featured during select programming.
The ESPYS will air live on Wednesday, July 20, at 6 p.m. MT (8 p.m. ET).
Denver Broncos Forgotten Players
UP NEXT: 10 of the Best Athletes Born in Colorado