We’re Ready For The “Finals” on Rodeo On The Radio
Today is the big day for all those cowboys and cowgirls who had the top times and best scores in the 1st and 2nd go-rounds at the 11th annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo. You have heard us talk about them all week on Rodeo On The Radio here on AM650 KGAB and kgab.com and today we will be watchig them in the “Finals” or “Short Go” as it’s called. Former CFD champs with a chance to repeat:
- Bareback Riding: Will Lowe (2009, 2012); Steven Dent (2010)
- Steer Wrestling: Olin Hannum (2011)
- Steer Roping: Tim Abbott (2008); Bobby Harris (team roping 2010); Brent Lewis (tie-down roping 2002)
- Saddle Bronc Riding: Cort Scheer (Rookie SBR 2008); Cody DeMoss (2004; 2010; 2012); Bryce Miller (2005)
- Tie-Down Roping: Fred Whitfield (1990; 1994; 2000); *Tuf Cooper’s father, Roy Cooper (tie-down roping 1978 and steer roping 1988, 1993; all-around 1989, 1993)
- Team Roping: Jade Corkill (2009 with Chad Masters); Chad Masters (2009 with Jade Corkill); Barrel Racing
- Barrel Racing: Kim Schulze (2011) and Brittany Pozzi (2007)
- Bull Riding: Cody Whitney (2012)
Some od those cowboys from Wyoming back today trying for those championship saddles and buckles are:
- Laramie: Seth Hardwick (Bareback Riding); Paul Beckett (Team Roping)
- Baggs: Willow Raley (Team Roping)
- Cody: JR Vezain from Cowley (Bareback Riding)
- Gillette Bobby Harris (Steer Roping); Bobby Welsh (Bull Riding)
- Sheridan: Chet Johnson (Saddle Bronc Riding); Tony Larsen (Steer Wrestling)
- Wheatland: Joe Buffington (Steer Wrestling)
Strong Roughstock Match-Ups include:
- Bareback: Ryan Gray vs. [2011 Bareback Bronc of the Year] Full Baggage from Frontier Rodeo.
- Saddle Bronc Riding: Chuck Schmidt vs. [2012 Saddle Bronc of the Year] 9-year-old Chuckolator from Sutton Rodeo; Tyrel Larsen vs. [2009 Southeastern Circuit Bronc of the Year] Painted Feather, Smith Harper Morgan; Chad Ferley vs. [2011 High-Marked Bronc at Cheyenne Frontier Days Bronc Futurity] Paint Chip, Korkow Rodeo.
- Bull Riding: Chandler Bownds vs. Feeling So Fly, Frontier Rodeo [unridden since February; average score 88 points]; Elliot Jacoby vs. Cowboy Compactor, Frontier Rodeo [average score 87; combined with Bownds for 90 in first round here].
And, here are some other things we will be talking about today, too.
- Total payout at this year’s rodeo will be $857, 612.
- If Jesse Clark were to win the tie-down roping, he’d be the third straight contestant from New Mexico to do so.
- In barrel racing, Christy Loflin’s horse, Sheza Blazin Move (“Movin”), was out with injuries from November 2012 through May this season. Michelle McLeod’s horse, “Slick” By Design, is a 6-year-old stallion. Paige Conrado’s horse, Deb’s Sporty Win (“Bubba”), is bred to be a tie-down roping horse.
- In team roping, best friends and cousins Drew Gartner and Turner Harris of North Dakota have remarkably both qualified for the short round together with their partners. Willow Raley is the first female qualifier to Cheyenne’s short round in any PRCA event. Joel Bach is four-time world champ Allen Bach’s oldest son. Jesse Sheffield and Rhen Richard are best known for tie-down roping.
We’ve seen lots of new things this year at the rodeo and one more of those will be that the buckle and saddle presentations to the event winners will be held after the rodeo in front of the Old West Museum in the white tent.
Our very special thanks go out, to all of our fine sponsors for bring you Rodeo On The Radio and, once again, to all the Public Relations Committee and volunteers who have been so helpful to us again this year, and without whom, we could not do what we do to bring you Rodeo On The Radio. We would also like to thank Ira McKillip and LCCC rodeo coach David Browder, all of our interns, and statisticians and especially Mallissa Chaffin for all the great photos. Thank you of all for their help in making the program a huge success….AND… most of all to you for listening.