Top 5 At 7:45 – Classic Picnic Foods
It's that time of year when you leave the television, microwave and, hopefully, cell phones behind and go outside and have an old fashioned picnic. There's nothing that makes this classic event more fruitful than packing along some classic picnic items in your mobile picnic basket.
On the Top 5 at 7:45 today, I'll highlight some of the classic food items to take on a picnic. Just remember, Don't Feed Yogi Bear! The Top 5 at 7:45 airs weekdays on KGAB Mornings with me, Gary Freeman.
- Cold Fried Chicken: This has got to be one of humanities all-time favorites. There's nothing like spending a beautiful day while sinking your teeth into a cold, fried chicken leg.
- Pasta Salad: Although I can eat this ANYTIME of year, no picnic would be complete without this old time classic. Many of you growing up in the 50's remember all of the cool pasta recipes being passed around.
- Deviled Eggs: Also known as "deviled delights", this are one of my favorites in any picnic setting. Just make sure they stay cool.
- Hot Dogs Off The Grill: Also known in Europe as the "dachshund sausage" on a bun, this has truly been an all-American classic since the early 1900's. You could use a microwave, but there is nothing like a dog hot off the grill.
- Watermelon: Universally, this is probably one of the most well-known picnic treats. Remember when you were a kid in the park, eating a watermelon and when you got done you were dripping of watermelon juice from your chin to your elbows?