Sixteen Wyoming High School Seniors Receive the Horatio Alger State Scholarship
The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans announced the winners of the Horatio Alger Wyoming Scholarship this week. These scholarships are made possible with generous support from the Rocky Mountain Power Foundation. These Horatio Alger state scholarship recipients have been chosen based on their demonstrated commitment to education, dedication to community service, and strength of character in overcoming personal obstacles to achieve academic excellence.
Tony Novelly, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Horatio Alger Association said “It is a privilege to play a part in these young people’s college education.”
Each scholar will receive $5,000 that will go toward their college tuition, fees, books, on-campus room and board and other education-related expenses. In addition to the scholarship, the students will receive:
- Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of and preparation for college;
- Access to the association’s website, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests, and direct questions to the association;
- Access to a toll-free information line to speak with program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The Horatio Alger Association’s scholarship programs are funded by its Members, friends of the organization, and other foundations. Since 1987, the Association has provided $1,048,000 in scholarships to high school seniors from Wyoming. The 2013 Horatio Alger Wyoming Scholarship recipients are:
- Charles J. Allen, Douglas High School, Douglas;
- Marcus J. Anderson, Burns High School, Cheyenne;
- Samantha M. Crawford, Lander Valley High School, Lander;
- Rebekah R. Davis, Star Valley High School, Afton;
- Mackenzie L. Kelly, Cheyenne East High School, Cheyenne;
- Kira Koldewyn, Star Valley High School, Afton;
- Denim S. Lind, Sheridan High School, Sheridan;
- Dakota D. McCormack, New Castle High School, Newcastle;
- Kimberly A. Montalvo, Natrona County High School, Casper;
- Koryn A. Potts, Rock Springs High School, Rock Springs;
- Jessica Power, Cody High School, Cody;
- Rachel A. Purdy, Pine Bluffs High School, Pine Bluffs;
- Amantha Robertson, Riverside High School, Basin;
- Brianne M. Siebert, Powell High School, Powell;
- Miria Smith, Burlington High School, Burlington;
- Tally Tait T. Wells, Powell High School, Powell.