If You’re Thinking About Lighting Off Homemade Fireworks-Think Again [VIDEO]
Safety is the number one thing you should be thinking about before ever cracking open a box of fireworks. If you're thinking about blowing off your own, you better think again.
As fireworks season approaches, which seems to be long before Independence Day, there will be amateurs and untrained people out lighting explosives all night long.
So, it's good to have a conversation with friends and family members so as to maintain the limbs you were born with. Some people are not so fortunate.
- Don't put fireworks in your carry on luggage when flying. This is just bad practice, not to mention the fact that FFA regulations prohibit this behavior.
- Beer and fireworks don't mix. It's all fun and games until some drunk blows off his pinky finger because he "thought" he had it under control. If Uncle Bill has had too much to drink, take away his lighter, just like you would take away his keys.
- Don't light off 'home made' fireworks. I know you probably watched some well-meaning chemist on YouTube, who showed you how to properly mix sulfur and magnesium, but this is a REALLY bad idea. If you can't afford to buy them, then you're better off sitting this one out.
- Wear safety glasses, gloves, steel-toed boots and some fire resistant coveralls when lighting off fireworks. Your family is depending on you and you don't want to end up in the ER, or more so, the morgue. Plus, what will the neighbors think?
- Before you or your family even light one sprinkler, you should sit them all down and show them safety videos, flash cards and read every cautionary and warning label on every firework you plan to light. You might even entertain having your local police officer come to your neighborhood to give a proper safety briefing to friends and neighbors.
Remember, its your body parts, friends and kids and how you protect them is up to you. And for crying out loud, keep the fireworks out of your kids pockets and out of the baby's mouth.
Here's a video of a guy who did not take heed to safety measures. Don't end up like him.