Health Department Urges Hantavirus Caution
Wyoming residents cleaning garages, campers and other areas which may be rodent infested are being warned about the possibility of contracting hantavirus infections from rodent droppings. Department of Health spokeswoman Kim Deti says while hantavirus is uncommon, it is a dangerous and potentially deadly disease. She says nine hantavirus cases have been recorded in Wyoming since 2000. A case in Carbon County last year resulted in a death, as did two other hantavirus infections in 2008. Deti says the virus is commonly spread through infectious aerosols created when dried materials contaminated by rodent feces, saliva or urine are disturbed.