Cheyenne Regional Medical Center Safe Halloween Tips
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center and Safe Kids Wyoming is offering some reminders for parents about Halloween Safety.
Stephanie Heitsch, Injury Prevention Coordinator for CRMC, reminds local residents that Safe Kids Wyoming, CRMC and several other organizations are sponsoring a ''Trunk or Treat" Thursday evening at 4776 Mountain Road Thursday evening from 6 until 8pm. She says this will feature car trunks with treats, allowing kids to trick or treat in a totally safe environment.
For parents of kids who do plan to go door to door, Heitsch offers the following tips:
· Go only to well-lit houses and remain on porches rather than entering houses.
· Travel in small groups and be accompanied by an adult.
· Know their phone number in case an emergency telephone call is necessary.
· Bring treats home before eating them so parents can inspect them.
· Use costume knives and swords that are flexible, not rigid or sharp.
When walking in neighborhoods children should:
· Use flashlights, stay on sidewalks, and avoid crossing yards.
· Cross streets at the corner, use crosswalks (where they exist), and do not cross between parked cars.
· Stop at all corners and stay together in a group before crossing.
· Wear clothing that is bright, reflective, and flame retardant.
· Consider using face paint instead of masks. (Masks can obstruct a child's vision.)
· Avoid wearing hats that will slide over their eyes.
· Avoid wearing long, baggy or loose costumes or oversized shoes (to prevent tripping).
· Look left, right, and left again before crossing the street.